Ok, so what do you get when you cross...
One of these
With one of these?
Answer: A mangled door!!
So here is the story... Hopefully someone will use this as a learning experience for themselves. LOL
Chris was out of town all last week so I was pretty frantic about having every single door and window doubled locked and secured. Those of you who know me are probably wondering why I didn't have booby traps set up as well. ha ha Because....I don't have time to construct booby traps with a newborn at home now. LOL Anyway, Thursday morning I had been up since 3:30 am because Madison decided that she wanted to fuss and stay up instead of going back to sleep after a 40 minute marathon feeding. So, while feeding her I could hear Doc barking in the garage and sounding like he frantically needed to go potty outside. He had done this the night before too. Ahhh, what a week. So I went down to let the dogs out and caught a whiff of why Doc NEEDED to go out. Goodness, there was S*@T everywhere in his kennel!! Fun right. So I let them out in the yard and came back up to finish feeding Madison. Afterward, she FINALLY wanted to go back to sleep so I thought I was in the clear. I was wrong.
I could hear the dogs outside barking non-stop at the horses because they were by the gate waiting to be fed. I hadn't even had time to feed myself yet, let alone them. The dogs wouldn't be quiet despite my screaming at them out the window. Imagine that. I was fuming mad and ran downstairs to go out and feed everyone so they would be content and quiet and maybe, just maybe, I could get some sleep. When I came back in through the garage.....wait this is where it gets good....
The door from the garage into the house was locked. Seriously? I just came out that door. Oh wait, I locked the stupid small lock on the doorknob and forgot as I came out and shut the door behind me. Now normally this wouldn't have been a problem if I had a spare key somewhere outside right? Well, I didn't.
So now Madison is inside and I am locked out. Like really really locked out. Crap!!!!! I didn't have my phone or keys or anything. I had to run next door to my neighbor's house and wake them up, ask to use their phone and then about have a nervous breakdown in their living room.
Yes, my first thought was to break a window, but I figured I had better call Chris first and see if we had a spare key I didn't remember about before I started breaking things. No key, he said. So I called everyone in the family that has one, no answer. This was at like 6:30 in the morning mind you. Then I called every single locksmith the phonebook listed. No one was open or available. Finally, enough was enough. I was on the phone with Chris and he told me instead of breaking the window, break the door. Hmmm.....ok. So I got the sledge hammer and broke the doorknob clean off the door.
I got into the house and RAN upstairs. I think my feet only touched like 3 stairs total. I got to Madison and she was just snoozing away in her bouncy seat. Whewww!! Thank goodness she was ok. I was sweating from head to toe and shaking I was so upset, I have never been so frantic. I sat there thinking to myself, what kind of crappy mother locks herself out of the house at 6:30 in the morning with her 3 week old baby inside. Me!! An exhausted, stressed out, starving new mom who was only trying to shut the dogs up and feed the animals that are my responsibility while trying to lock extra locks to protect my family.
I can laugh about this now, but at the time I felt like the biggest bonehead on the planet. So FYI to all.....don't go breaking doorknobs or windows if this happens to you.....call the freakin fire department. They can help. Good to know......now.
Here is the aftermath.....
Live and learn. :)
This makes me laugh...while I haven't done exactly what you have done...I have had my older two lock me outside when I went to get the mail once they were 2 and 3 at the time and they just sat at the window laughing at funny mommy outside in her jammies in the snow....hahaha luckily my kids could unlock it with the right bribe involved. The good thing about a newborn is they can't get into stuff and roll around or hurt themselves really...:)The whole fire department thing IS good to know I didn't know that either haha!
ReplyDeleteoh my goodness, what a funny story! still can't wait to get caught up with you and to meet this adorable little girl. I promise to get up there soon. This Summer is keeping me BUSY, but it is coming to an end soon....
ReplyDelete